Saturday, March 14, 2015

Lonaconing Silk Mill, Maryland

I heard about this place a few years ago and so it became a "bucket list" item, one that I have now checked off - been there, done that.  This mill was also known as the Klotz Throwing Company, and is the last intact silk mill in the US.  It was abandoned in 1957 after workers walked off the job and the doors closed permanently.  Nothing much has changed in the mill since then, except of course that it is falling into disrepair. That is a severe summary of the history of the mill, along with the town that it once supported, but more can be found with a web search.  I'm very glad I made the trip.  Here are a few images from today.  I will return tomorrow since one could spend a week in the facility and still not cover everything.  It is a veritable gold mine of fascinating history - like stepping back in time.




No comments:

Post a Comment